NATO: Rutte Says US Troop Withdrawal Won't Hurt Europe

Sedang Trending 54 menit yang lalu
NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization). shutterstock.com

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on Wednesday sought to tamp down European fears over pending US troop withdrawals on the continent, saying that the downsizing of the US troop presence in Europe will not harm defensive readiness.

Rutte: US troop withdrawals 'rotational forces,' do not impact NATO defense plans

"When it comes to the announcement, the 4,000 to 5,000… it is rotational forces not having an impact on NATO's defense plans," the military alliance's leader told reporters.  

Rutte's comments come after US President Donald Trump's most recent attack on the alliance, which was sparked by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz's criticism of the US-Israeli war in Iran.

In response to the German leader's remarks, Trump said the US would immediately withdraw 5,000 US troops from the country — something that is practically impossible and would greatly decrease US power projection as these troops do not primarily protect Germany but rather are stationed as forward operating units ready for deployment mainly in Africa and the Middle East.

Trump Cabinet members including Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio have sought to clarify confusion over the president's threat to withdraw forces from Germany and later Poland.

On Tuesday, Vance said the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed not canceled. Rubio is set to meet with European NATO members in Sweden this week.

Still, as shocked as European allies seem to be over Trump's threat, the US has been planning to pivot is defenses toward other theaters, mainly Asia, for over a decade.

Rutte touched on this in his remarks, saying: "We know that adjustments will take place. The US has to pivot more towards, for example, Asia. This will take place over time and in a structured way."

The Pentagon, too, addressed the situation, saying it would reduce the number of US troop brigades in Europe from four to three, meaning that troop levels would fall to 2021 levels.

US to make announcement on cutting forces available to NATO during crises

Beyond this, Rutte also addressed expected cuts to the number of forces the US will be willing to contribute to NATO in the event of a crisis. European NATO members expect a US announcement on this at a meeting of senior defense officials in Brussels on Friday.

Rutte said talks on the US contribution to the so-called NATO force model had been ongoing for over a year and were directly tied to dramatic increases in defense spending on the part of European member states.

"This is normal business," said Rutte, "so this was to be expected. I think it is only right that this happens."

Trump has repeatedly accused US military allies of freeloading and has even threatened to leave the US-led alliance, forcing other member states to increase spending and consider how they can best defend themselves amid uncertainty over US reliability.

Read: US Troop Withdrawal from Europe to Take 'Years', General Says

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


US Troop Withdrawal from Europe to Take 'Years', General Says

22 jam lalu

US Troop Withdrawal from Europe to Take 'Years', General Says

NATO top commander Alexus Grynkewich said the US withdrawal would be "well-synchronized" with European allies.


NATO Planes Down Suspected Ukrainian Drone Over Estonia

23 jam lalu

NATO Planes Down Suspected Ukrainian Drone Over Estonia

A NATO military jet has shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone in Estonian airspace.


Sweden Orders 4 Frigates from French Company Naval Group

1 hari lalu

Sweden Orders 4 Frigates from French Company Naval Group

Sweden plans to acquire four new frigates starting in 2030 in a deal worth billions. They will be the largest surface warships in Sweden's navy.


Fact Check: NATO Did Not Declare Iran's Victory Over US

8 hari lalu

Fact Check: NATO Did Not Declare Iran's Victory Over US

Fact check - There has been no official NATO statement declaring Iran victorious. The conflict between Iran and the US-Israel is not over yet.


Germany Downplays Tensions as US Plans Troop Withdrawal

16 hari lalu

Germany Downplays Tensions as US Plans Troop Withdrawal

Chancellor of Germany attempts to downplay tension with the United States after the announcement of a reduction in US troops in Germany.


King Charles III Urges NATO Unity in Historic US Congress Speech

21 hari lalu

King Charles III Urges NATO Unity in Historic US Congress Speech

King Charles III delivered a historic address to a joint session of the US Congress on Tuesday to reinforce strained ties between the UK and the US.


Trump Says Middle East 'Much Better Allies' Than NATO

28 hari lalu

Trump Says Middle East 'Much Better Allies' Than NATO

US and NATO's relations fractured over the Iran war. Trump hailed Middle East countries as better allies than the European group.


Japan, NATO Deepen Global Security Ties

33 hari lalu

Japan, NATO Deepen Global Security Ties

Japan's foreign minister said Euro-Atlantic and Indo-Pacific security are "inseparable."


Trump Criticizes NATO over Iran in Meeting with Rutte

41 hari lalu

Trump Criticizes NATO over Iran in Meeting with Rutte

President Donald Trump said NATO "wasn't there" after the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran.


Trump Threatens NATO Exit Following Iran War

48 hari lalu

Trump Threatens NATO Exit Following Iran War

President Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio suggest a re-evaluation of US membership in NATO following allies' refusal to support against Iran.