
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Board of Peace, established by President Donald Trump to oversee the Gaza transition government and reconstruction, is warning of a severe funding shortfall that could derail the implementation of its plan.
According to a report submitted to the United Nations Security Council dated May 15, 2026, the Board of Peace highlighted a disparity between the funds pledged by donor countries and the actual disbursements.
"The gap between funding pledges and disbursements for Donald Trump's Gaza rebuilding plan must be closed urgently," the report stated, as reported by Al Jazeera on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.
The report also mentioned, "Funds committed but not yet disbursed represent the difference between a framework that exists on paper and one that delivers on the ground for the people of Gaza."
While the Board of Peace did not disclose the exact amount of funding received so far, the report indicated that the total committed funding remains stagnant at US$17 billion.
Gaza Reconstruction Requires over $70 Billion
According to the same report, the estimated cost of rebuilding Gaza is expected to exceed $70 billion following more than two and a half years of Israeli genocide in the region.
The Board of Peace estimates that 85 percent of buildings and infrastructure in Gaza have been destroyed. Additionally, approximately 70 million tons of debris must be cleared before any reconstruction efforts can begin.
Reuters, as cited by Al Jazeera, previously reported in April 2026 that the Board of Peace had only received a fraction of the promised funds, hindering Trump's Gaza plan from becoming fully operational.
At that time, the board denied the report, asserting in a statement that the organization focuses on execution and calls capital as needed, while emphasizing that there were no funding constraints.
Several Countries Remain Hesitant
According to The New Arab, the United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar are among the nations that have made funding commitments. Morocco, Uzbekistan, and Kuwait are also listed as donors.
However, according to officials from Europe and Asia, several countries remain deeply reluctant to channel funds through the Board of Peace due to lingering concerns over transparency and oversight mechanisms. They instead prefer to route their humanitarian assistance through established international bodies such as the UN.
Read: Israel's Treatment of Gaza Aid Glotilla Activists Sparks Outrage
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Israel Broadens Occupied Zone in Gaza to 64% Amid Ceasefire
5 hari lalu

Israel is reported to have expanded its military control to encompass approximately 64 percent of the Gaza Strip through the implementation of the 'Orange Line', amid the ongoing ceasefire.
United States to Close Mission Center in Gaza
18 hari lalu

The United States will close its Gaza mission center (CMCC) on May 1, 2026, amid the failure to uphold the ceasefire.
Indonesia Affirms No Commitment to Board of Peace Payment
29 hari lalu

Minister Purbaya admits to never receiving instructions from President Prabowo to prepare for Board of Peace payments.
Board of Peace Says Israeli Border Curbs Disrupt Aid Delivery
32 hari lalu

Board of Peace representative Nickolay Mladenov said Israel's strict border limits are the main obstacle to humanitarian aid entering Gaza.
Civil Society Groups Sue Prabowo over Board of Peace Role
33 hari lalu

Civil society groups file a constitutional review against Prabowo's participation in the Board of Peace without House approval.
BoP Urges Hamas to Finalize Gaza Demilitarization Plan This Week
43 hari lalu

Source reported that the U.S. wants Hamas to disarm and disclose Gaza's tunnel network, with talks in Egypt aimed at sealing a deal this week.
Indonesia Urged to Withdraw from BoP After Peacekeepers' Death in Lebanon
49 hari lalu

The House of Representatives calls for the government to express anger and condemnation over the Israeli attacks on peacekeeping forces in Lebanon.
PKS Supports Delay in Sending Indonesian Troops to Gaza
59 hari lalu

PKS lawmaker said the worsening conflict in Gaza has heightened risks to personnel safety and raised concerns over the sovereignty of other countries.
Prabowo Denies Promising US$1 Billion for Board of Peace Fund
59 hari lalu

According to Prabowo, Indonesia is only committed to sending troops to the Gaza Strip through the International Stabilization Force (ISF).
Indonesia Postpones Gaza Peacekeeping Mission Deployment
17 Maret 2026

The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms the postponement of peacekeeping troops to Gaza, citing a suspension of Board of Peace talks.
45 menit yang lalu
English (US) ·
Indonesian (ID) ·