US Judge Orders Trump White House to Comply With Presidential Records Act

Sedang Trending 35 menit yang lalu
United States President Donald Trump delivers a press statement before boarding a Marine One helicopter on the White House lawn, Washington, D.C., United States, April 25, 2025. While he is on duty, Trump faces charges of constitutional violations related to war powers and foreign policy. This sparked strong criticism from Democratic Party politicians, who labeled him an 'international gangster.' Shutterstock

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta A federal judge has ordered White House staff under President Donald Trump to continue complying with the Presidential Records Act, rejecting a recent legal opinion from the US Department of Justice that argued the law was unconstitutional.

As reported by MS NOW, US District Judge John Bates ruled on Wednesday that the 1978 Presidential Records Act is likely constitutional and issued a preliminary injunction blocking the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) opinion issued last month.

“The Records Act is likely constitutional,” Bates wrote in his 54-page ruling. He stated that Congress has the authority under the US Constitution’s Property Clause to regulate presidential records as federal property.

The Presidential Records Act was passed following the Watergate scandal and requires presidential records to be preserved and eventually transferred to the National Archives.

According to Politico, the ruling effectively orders White House aides to disregard the OLC opinion, which had claimed the law improperly interfered with presidential authority.

Bates criticized the Justice Department’s legal reasoning, calling it a “stark misreading” of Supreme Court precedent. He also rejected arguments that presidential documents should remain personal property simply because they were historically treated that way before the law was enacted in 1978.

The judge noted that the Trump administration itself complied with the Presidential Records Act during Trump’s first term in office.

Under the ruling, White House personnel must continue preserving official records and communications related to government business. However, Bates stopped short of directly ordering Trump or Vice President JD Vance to comply, citing longstanding legal principles limiting courts from directly enjoining a sitting president in performing official duties.

The injunction also excludes the National Archives, the Department of Justice, and the attorney general. The order will take effect on May 26, giving the administration time to seek intervention from a higher court.

The lawsuits were filed in April by watchdog organizations including American Oversight and the American Historical Association after the OLC memo suggested Trump had the authority to destroy presidential records or retain them for personal use.

American Oversight described the ruling as “an important victory for presidential accountability.”

“The court recognized the serious danger posed by the administration’s attempt to cast aside longstanding federal law governing presidential records,” executive director Chioma Chukwu said in a statement.

Sarah Weicksel, executive director of the American Historical Association, said the ruling reaffirmed that presidential records belong to the public rather than any individual president.

The White House criticized the decision. White House spokesperson Abigail Jackson told Politico that the ruling “fundamentally misunderstands the Administration’s position,” adding that the administration remains confident it will ultimately prevail.

Jackson also stated that the White House does not allow aides to delete electronic records and will continue enforcing internal record-preservation policies.

It remains unclear whether the Trump administration will appeal the ruling.

Read: US Senate Advances Measure to Limit Trump's Iran War Powers

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


EU Strikes Deal on US Trade Pact Ahead of Trump Deadline

5 jam lalu

EU Strikes Deal on US Trade Pact Ahead of Trump Deadline

EU reached a provisional agreement to remove import duties on US goods, keeping the bloc on track to meet Trump's deadline to avoid higher tariffs.


US Seeks to Reset Ties with Iran, But Remains 'Locked and Loaded'

13 jam lalu

US Seeks to Reset Ties with Iran, But Remains 'Locked and Loaded'

Vice President JD Vance said Washington wants to reset relations with Iran, but is prepared to take military action if nuclear negotiations fail.


US Senate Advances Measure to Limit Trump's Iran War Powers

21 jam lalu

US Senate Advances Measure to Limit Trump's Iran War Powers

Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy joined three Republicans backing the symbolic measure, reflecting growing frustration over the war.


Can Prabowo's Ties with Trump Help Free Indonesians Detained by Israel?

1 hari lalu

Can Prabowo's Ties with Trump Help Free Indonesians Detained by Israel?

Trump's ties with Israel may open an effective diplomatic channel in the absence of relations between Indonesia and Israel.


Trump Says He Paused Attack on Iran at Gulf Leaders' Request

1 hari lalu

Trump Says He Paused Attack on Iran at Gulf Leaders' Request

Trump said he halted a planned Iran strike after the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar urged Washington to pause the attack.


Iran Handed US Revised Peace Proposal, Says Pakistan

2 hari lalu

Iran Handed US Revised Peace Proposal, Says Pakistan

Pakistan, which has been hosting stalled ceasefire talks, said the US and Iran "keep changing their goal posts."


Trump, Xi Jinping Affirm Goal to Denuclearize North Korea

2 hari lalu

Trump, Xi Jinping Affirm Goal to Denuclearize North Korea

US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping concluded their Beijing summit with agreements on North Korea and more.


Rupiah Weakens After Xi Jinping-Trump Talks Fail to Ease Iran Tensions

3 hari lalu

Rupiah Weakens After Xi Jinping-Trump Talks Fail to Ease Iran Tensions

The rupiah exchange rate weakened 33 points, or 0.19 percent, to Rp17,630 per US dollar on Monday morning.


Taiwan Cannot Be Used as Bargaining Chip in US-China Deal, Says President

3 hari lalu

Taiwan Cannot Be Used as Bargaining Chip in US-China Deal, Says President

Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said Taiwan cannot be used as a bargaining chip in negotiations between the United States (US) and Beijing.


Cuba Buys More Than 300 Drones from Russia and Iran, Report Says

3 hari lalu

Cuba Buys More Than 300 Drones from Russia and Iran, Report Says

Cuba has also discussed plans to use drones to attack US targets such as the naval base at Guantanamo Bay, according to Axios news outlet.